Thursday, May 29, 2008

Mom


My mom had her gall bladder removed on Tuesday. In typical Howard fashion, we can't have anything go as planned. She had to go to the ER at about 2:30 this morning. She woke up with very swollen glands in her neck and her finger tips and lips tingling. God bless Jonathan for being up there with her all night until I got there at about 6:45 this morning. She was there for about 5 hours and all they did was take blood, do an x-ray, and a CT scan. The diagnosis?? They claim that the swelling is a reaction to the tube that was down her throat during surgery. I don't buy it. They are smarter than me I'm sure, but I got the feeling that they really didn't know and had to blame it on something. My favorite memory from this experience was the realization that they left her IV port in her arm. We came to that realization about the time we pulled into RH. So, all my medical training came into good use as I pulled the port out and got blood everywhere. Yikes.

As a result of this experience, I have decided that the only occassion in which I will be visiting the ER is if I'm unconscious or bleeding from the head. I'll probably chance it and go see my doctor the next day.

1 comment:

mandy said...

THEY LEFT THE THING IN HER ARM?????